June 7, 2017
Sneak Peeks and Explanations – The Adventures of 2017 So Far
by Corrina Thurston
You may have noticed both on my blog and via social media, that I haven’t been around much lately. 2017 started with a bang and I was creating lots of artwork, like the Kitten Heart drawing (shown below), other drawings on wood, commissions, and more.
Then I disappeared.
This blog post explains what’s been going on to make me disappear and unable to produce artwork for a number of months, and also gives you some sneak peeks at what’s happening later this year!
2017 Started Off So Well…
January came around and the crazy hectic months of the holiday season were behind me. I had a short break from commissions and I spent some time cleaning my studio and writing out my big goals for the coming year.
Then I was asked to participate in a charity event by Rustic Roots restaurant that was going to benefit Spectrum Youth & Family Services, and I said yes! It involved a number of artists making artwork on heart-shaped wooden pieces, which were on display at Rustic Roots through February. I created the above Kitten Heart drawing, and it was my first colored pencil drawing on wood!
This experimental piece got me interested in trying more drawings on wood, so I bought some wooden plaques and kept experimenting, including the piece below. Within a few weeks I’d popped out 5 drawings, which also included the popular Jada commission.
Then Disaster Struck
Many of you are aware that I’m chronically ill. Unfortunately, despite having been progressing well, chronic illnesses are not known for being consistent or predictable, and suddenly I was getting worse.
Honestly, we’re still not sure what’s going on, but I do know it’s getting better again and I’m optimistic that I’ll have a relatively good summer. But for the last 4 months, I have been very sick.
Nausea, migraines, extreme fatigue, digestive issues, stomach pain, dizziness, depression, and body pain have plagued me for the last few months. Despite doctors running all sorts of tests each week, we couldn’t figure out what was wrong. It has been all to familiar to my 6 years of being sick with Lyme and no one being able to figure out what was wrong.
The first three months were especially bad, and then the symptoms started to change and I’m finally starting to feel a bit better and I’m finally able to work on some drawings (and other work) again!
Illness Wasn’t The Only Problem
Unfortunately, illness hasn’t been the only thing holding me back lately. I won’t go into all the crazy details, but here’s just a few of the things going on as well: family members in the hospital multiple times (and myself in the ER once as well), we had mold in our apartment, which was making us sick and forced us to move, car trouble, studio equipment malfunctioning, other family members sick, in the hospital, and having multiple surgeries, and then my computer died!
I was really hoping 2017 would be a lot better in a number of ways, especially when it came to stress, than 2016 was, but so far that’s not the case.
Things To Look Forward To!
Now I’m finally, slowly, starting to feel better and get more energy, feel less, dizzy, and am able to focus better on the work I need to do. This is good because there’s exciting things ahead for the rest of 2017! Here’s a few:
- My African Elephant drawing is on display for the first time and can be seen at Main Street Landing Union Station in Burlington, VT as part of Arts Alive’s Festival of Fine Arts! Opening Reception Friday June 9th!
- I’ll be taking my new interest in working on wood to a new level this summer and creating a few one-of-a-kind small pieces of furniture with original drawings on the surface of the wood! Think stools and small tables to begin with. Stay tuned!
- Current exhibit of my artwork at Phoenix Diagnostic Labs, in Burlington, VT!
- Antiques & Uniques craft show in Craftsbury, VT on July 8th! I’ll have a booth under one of the tents, so come check it out!
- Solo Exhibit of my artwork at New Moon Cafe in Burlington, VT for September and October!
- Solo Exhibit of my artwork at Island Arts South Hero Gallery for the month of November!
- More videos! Once I get my camera and my computer up and running again, and sort out my new studio space, I’ll be creating more speed drawing videos and more videos for my Drawing With Corrina Series!
- NEW BOOK! I’ve written the manuscript for a new ebook I’ll be publishing very soon for artists called: How To Build Your Art Business With Limited Time Or Energy. More news about this when it’s published! If you’re interested in getting this book right away, contact me and I’ll make sure you know as soon as it’s been published on Amazon.
- And More!
Sneak Peeks – On The Drawing Board Now
Finally I’ve been able to start drawing again, and thankfully, I have very understanding clients. Below are some sneak peeks of what’s on my drawing board right now!
I also have a commission I’m working on at the moment, which I can’t reveal yet, of a black golden retriever! That drawing will be finished soon!
Have questions about anything that’s happened or that’s going to happen? Contact me! I respond to all inquiries and messages.