December 23, 2016
End Of The Year Roundup – 2016
by Corrina Thurston
What a year! 2016 may have been a struggle health-wise and emotionally as a lot changed in my life, but it was also my first full year in business and had some amazing milestones!
First Full Year As An Entrepreneur
I knew going into this adventure that being an entrepreneur is never easy. It’s unpredictable and frightening, like you’re jumping off a cliff and hoping there’s a soft landing or better yet, a magic carpet that’s ready to catch you and let you fly.
But it’s also incredibly rewarding and exciting. To know that people love my artwork is amazing, and to see it in publications, to be interviewed, to give speeches and be called inspiring, to see my artwork on display, all makes it worthwhile. Plus, of course, getting to know all of YOU.
As you can read about in one of my earlier posts here, I had no idea this was the path I would find in my life. Artwork came out of the blue for me. I’m so happy it did. Despite the challenges, it’s been a blessing and I can’t wait to keep sharing with all of you the next chapters of the journey.
Below are some of the HIGHLIGHTS of 2016!
- I went to an art business conference in DC held by the Arts Business Institute
- I was interviewed by the founder of the well-known blog Artsy Shark, which you can read here
- I WAS INTERVIEWED BY WCAX NEWS FOR THEIR MADE IN VERMONT SERIES, which you can watch here!
- I had solo exhibits of my artwork, and was part of group exhibits at places like: Gifford Hospital, Chandler Center for the Arts, Sweet Grass Gallery & Gifts, Studio Place Arts, South End Art Hop, The Maltex Building, Arts Alive at Main St. Landing, and more
- I became a member of the Colored Pencil Society of America
- I received a small grant from the Vermont Arts Council (thank you!)
- I COMPLETELY REDID MY WEBSITE
- I started this blog (and did a guest blog post for the Arts Business Institute)
- I had artwork published THREE times this year (HawkChalk Magazine, Color Magazine, & Hidden Treasures Vol.3 Book)
- I have artwork and products available at retailers such as: Exile on Main Street, Sweet Grass Gallery & Gifts, The Art Shop by Artists’ Mediums, and Vermont’s Own Products.
- I WAS COMMISSIONED TO CREATE THE 2017 POSTER ARTWORK FOR THE WORLD’S FAIR IN TUNBRIDGE, VT
- I accepted and completed more commissioned drawings than ever before
- I spoke as a keynote speaker for organizations/groups
- I created new artwork, like my Common Loon drawing, my Giraffe, the Cooper’s Hawk, the American Quarter Horse, and the ever popular African Elephant drawing
- I created my first two Speed Drawing videos which you can watch here
- I mentored other artists
- I reached over 1000 likes on my Facebook page
- I made some amazing connections
- AND MUCH MORE!
With everything that’s happened this year, both good and bad, I just want to say THANK YOU. I have the BEST. FANS. EVER. I had some of the most amazing commission clients this year, some of the best feedback, and made great connections with my fans, both online and at events in person.
The fact that you all believe in me and keep spreading the word about my artwork is incredible and appreciated so much!
So thank you for being awesome and always having my back. I hope you have a great rest of your year and that 2017 is your best year yet!